Friday 10 May 2024

Artist Reaserch: Angela Harding



    Angela Harding studied printmaking and painting at Leicester Polytechnic, then went on to get a Master's in Fine Art at Nottingham Trent University (www.art-angels.co.uk, 2023). Harding finds inspiration for her art in British birds and animals, especially the ones she sees around her home, like sparrows and blackbirds. She doesn't draw directly from life; instead, she combines her drawings with her imagination to create her artwork (Harding, 2024). Harding acknowledges that she has embraced the trend for appreciating nature long before it became popular, with her collection of sketchbooks, lino, and silkscreen prints serving as evidence. These artworks beautifully depict the charm of British birds and wildlife set against the backdrop of rural and coastal landscapes, showcasing Harding's unique artistic style (Max Publishing: Print, Digital Media + Events (London), n.d.). 

Harding A., Blackbird and Berries

    This beautiful artwork by Angela Harding shows two blackbirds resting on branches heavy with berries, against a wintry background. Created using linocut and silkscreen techniques, it displays Angela's talent and creativity as an artist (Harding, 2024). In Angela Harding's "Blackbird and Berries" artwork captures the eye with its striking color contrast and expressive detail. Against the snowy background, the red berries and the black birds really catch the eye. Her use of linocut and silkscreen techniques adds texture and depth to the picture, making it look real. With this artwork, Harding shows the calm beauty of winter and the charm of British wildlife, inviting everyone to enjoy nature's wonders. 



In Angela Harding's "Scottish Robins" print, the mix of warm earthy colours for the hills and the bright red of the robins' chests stand out against the cool blue and grey of the sky. The green tones of the branches add to the natural feel of the scene. Her smart choice of colours makes the artwork stand out, giving it a vibrant feel and making the Scottish countryside come alive. It's a lovely picture of Scotland's landscape and its birds, drawing you in with its simple beauty. 


    What I like about these artworks is how they connect to nature, which is something I want to do in my own work. The Scottish Robin in the second artwork looks a lot like the American Robin, which I'll include in my pattern designs. The "Blackbird and Berries" artwork catches the eye with its two-color mix. I'm thinking of using black and orange in my designs too. This colour combo is strong and really grabs attention. I also enjoy the backgrounds in both pieces, but I won't be adding backgrounds to my work. I want to keep it simple and easy to use for different sizes and designs in my projects. But I might add some basic backgrounds to my 2D designs.


Reference List: 

www.art-angels.co.uk. (2023). Angela Harding. [online] Available at: https://www.art-angels.co.uk/categories/angela-harding [Accessed 11 May 2024].

Harding, A. (2024). Angela Harding | About Me. [online] Angela Harding. Available at: https://angelaharding.co.uk/pages/about-me.

Max Publishing: Print, Digital Media + Events (London) (n.d.). In Conversation With…Angela Harding. [online] issuu. Available at: https://issuu.com/maxpublishing/docs/pg_january_2022/s/14495186 [Accessed 11 May 2024].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...