Tuesday 4 June 2024

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

    In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve my concepts. This semester's focus was on rebuilding Cromwell, a town devastated by fire, both physically and spiritually. My assignment was to create objects reflecting the city's history and integrate them with a city's logo designed by a graphic designer. 

    To create my collection, I chose to explore a technique I recently learned: linocut. It seemed like a great opportunity to deepen my understanding of this method. Learning about artists who specialize in linocut was particularly inspiring and informative for me. Artists like April Vollmer, Grayson Perry, Angela Harding, and Angie Lewin were significant inspirations for my project. Their work greatly influenced my artistic perspective and helped me develop my own creative vision.

    During this semester, I benefited from the expertise of technicians and attended various workshops, including the Fine Art Print workshop. Here, I learned the fundamentals and materials required for linocut creation. This allowed me to try out oil-based paints on both my 2D pieces and the materials I used for 3D projects. In the Sewing Workshop, I was introduced to sewing basics, such as using an overlocker, and learned about essential tools like disappearing markers and double-sided tape for fabrics. In the wood workshop, I got to use woodworking machines like the lathe machine and learned to use special craving tools, which helped me craft a bowl for the project. In the sculpture workshop, I experimented with mixing a resin solution, which I then combined with wood material.

    Throughout this semester, I had the chance to improve my time management skills and understand a wider perspective on the creation process. From developing a pattern to translating it into design and execution, I learned step by step. I also learned about the importance of researching materials and became aware of how many materials and textiles can harm the environment. Additionally, I gained an understanding of the value that durability brings.

    I believe this semester has significantly improved my knowledge and skills. I now feel much more ready and confident to begin my journey in Design Crafts. Also, now I feel more confident in expressing myself artistically and have developed better skills to understand and communicate my ideas through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...