Friday 10 May 2024

Artist Reaserch: Angie Lewin

 


    Angie Lewis finds her creative spark in the stunning landscapes of the North Norfolk coast and the Scottish Highlands. Her art reflects the beauty of these contrasting environments and their native plants. Using techniques like wood engraving, linocut, silkscreen, lithograph, and collage, she brings these landscapes to life with rich detail. Angie's work often focuses on the fine details of plant forms, giving us a glimpse into the beauty of these natural places (Lewin, 2019).  


    "Persephone Snow" is a linocut by Angie Lewin that captures the charm of winter nature. The artwork shows intricate details, possibly of plants or flowers up close. The linocut technique creates sharp lines and textures. The piece likely has a snowy background with shades of blue, and hints of warm colours like red, reflecting natural landscapes. Lewin finds inspiration in the British countryside.  
    I admire how she uses cold blue tones, which, when mixed with red, bring warmth to her work. I'm also inspired by how she includes nature in her art, mixing in things like leaves, feathers, and winter plants. I'll use linocut in my pattern design, inspired by nature, featuring American robins and white oak tree leaves. I'm thinking of using a background in my 2D design that is like Lewin's "Persephone Snow." I'll keep my design overall more simple in composition. 



    In this artwork, there's a simple yet charming setup, with a lone feather in the middle, surrounded by groups of berries. The feather and berries are drawn with lots of detail, showing off Lewin's talent.
I like how vibrant this piece is, completely different from "Persephone Snow". This piece gives off a summer vibe. She uses a primary colour - red - with a secondary colour - green, which adds brightness to the artwork. The composition seems to be enclosed in a circle, which looks interesting and secure. The simplicity of only two items in the artwork is more connected to my final pattern design vision. Also, the colour selection is similar; I will use orange, which is a secondary colour and will also make the work bright.

Reference List:

Peters, A. (2016). Angie Lewin interview. [online] For Arts Sake. Available at: https://forartssake.com/angie-lewin-interview/ [Accessed 11 May 2024].

Lewin, A. (2024). Persephone Snow. [online] Angie Lewin. Available at: https://www.angielewin.co.uk/products/persephone-snow [Accessed 11 May 2024].

Lewin, A. (2019). Angie Lewin - Biography. [online] Angie Lewin. Available at: https://www.angielewin.co.uk/pages/about-my-work [Accessed 11 May 2024].

1 comment:

  1. Good solid research, you could also look at how she is using the complementary colours of green and red to get a strong colour contrast.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...