Monday 11 March 2024

Reflection: Art Portfolio 1

Art Portfolio 1 classes started in January 2024. From the very beginning, we stimulated our creativity through games such as: reproducing famous painting works in a group of two, using things available in the class Also, exercises like "Crazy Eight" pleasantly stimulated my imagination, helping me evolve my ideas. The next step was to choose a theme from the three available: primitivism, pop art and industrial. I decided to make the main project with AP1 based on the theme of primitivism. The next step was to choose a theme from the three available: primitivism, pop art and industrial. I decided to make the main project with AP1 based on the theme of primitivism. I started doing research on the ceramic material, the tools used during the process and the artists I was inspired by, like Gareth Mason, Nigel Hoyle and George Bowes. Then, during class, we started working on sketches. During this process, I decided to use the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist eras as colour inspiration. Having an outline of the project, I decided to use the ceramic workshop available at DMU, thanks to which I could move on to the stage of creating 3D works. 

During this semester, I learned how to be more organized. Due to the material I chose, ceramics, and the process it has to go through from the mass to the finished product, all the firing processes, which take a lot of time, my time management has improved. The opportunities that were presented to us during the workshop introductions showed me many possibilities that I hope to use and improve in the next term. 

This module was interesting for many reasons. First of all, it showed me the possibilities offered by studying at DMU, the number of workshops, their diversity and the large range of equipment that we can use are very promising. Also, the technicians were very helpful. 

I feel grateful for this term, especially for the workshops and their possibilities. Also, knowledge transferred during classes, and opportunities to improve my creative thinking, especially in my progression route - Design Crafts. These nine weeks have shown me how much I can do. Also, artist research allowed me to look at it from a different perspective. The works of artists from the past and present gave me a lot of understanding of the process. I feel that thanks to these classes I am better prepared for the challenges at DMU. I now know much more about the process of preparing my own project, from scratch to making it physically. These are definitely useful skills for my future, as a student and also as a craft designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...