Sunday 25 February 2024

Thid Ceramic Projects

My third and last work was not inspired by any specific insect, as was the case with previous designs. I decided to use the insect motif, generally. the performance was inspired by the artist: Gareth Monson and his works. The colour inspiration for this project was the painting "Sunset" by Claude Monet.

                                             Gareth Mason,"Tomb Warden", 2016-2017



My idea was to create an object resembling a vase, one with an open space at the top. I used the slab method to create the object and glue the parts together. On the outside, using ceramic rollers, I made patterns that were supposed to resemble patterns from insect wings.


Then I cut out patterns of insect parts from paper, which I then used to cut out my vase-like project.


For the underglaze application process, I used a sponge to obtain unevenly applied color.


The cut-out shapes of butterflies seemed to me too "perfect" shapes for this type of project. So I decided to make them look more primitive. The current appearance of the work is closer to the effect I intend to achieve in the end. As I needed water to change the shape of the holes to soften the mass, there were streaks all over. However, I'm considering leaving this imperfect look.


 After the process of changing the butterfly-shaped holes, I think that the whole thing has a more three-dimensional look, and more texture.



Reference List:

Wikipedia Contributors (2019). Impression. [online] Wikipedia. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impression.

Mason, G. (2020). Gareth Mason: A Decade in Cahoots. [online] Available at: https://www.jasonjacques.com/attachment/en/583dd7dc84184ed07e8b4568/TextTwoColumnsWithFile/5f6262cb3cc1388c0544a0c7/additionalFiles/5f80d0d93ac138795dbc800b/translatedAdditionalFiles/5f80d0d93ac138795dbc800c [Accessed 25 Feb. 2024].


1 comment:

  1. Intelligent and informed decision making. You are referring to your ideas and themes but being informed by the new skills and artistic research.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...