Wednesday 17 January 2024

Developing Ideas



The task in these classes was to choose one of many items as an object for inspiration. My choice was a bag with small decorative stones, such as those used for, for example, flower pots. At least that was my first thought. I chose them because of their unpredictable, non-obvious shapes and unique patterns.


While looking through the shapes I noticed that one type of stone had quite an interesting shine, which drew my attention to the element of light and its reflection/passing in front of objects. Then I started thinking about using this element in my project. Or more precisely, use light and shadows together. I haven't decided yet on the specific direction to use, but I know that I would like to use transparent material and colors to create a play of light, shadows, and colors. At first, I thought about the usual shapes of lamps, as my first association was a lamp, but then I started using the shape of the selected stone as a basis. It was a stone with an exceptionally thin side, which gave me the idea to use it as a row for lights. The exceptionally flat front of the stone could serve as a place for an imprinted pattern, an element for a painting, or as a base for more 3D options. These are the first, rough ideas that I hope will lead me further over time.


The next thing I thought of, looking at the irregular shapes of the stones, I thought of a children's play space. Their imagination has no limits and I think that such stone-shaped seats/blocks could have an interesting impact on their creativity. They could also be used as irregularly shaped pillows that would adapt to the current need for relaxation/play.


I consider it an interesting option, but what appeals to me more is the first idea that came to me while looking at the stone - light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...