Wednesday 17 January 2024

Portfolio One: Project Statement

  In my project for AP1, I will focus on the primitivism theme. The final result will be six 2D works and one final 3D work. In my project I would like to combine the play of light and shadows using transparent materials, also I'm interested in animal motifs, especially insects. I would like to combine them into one. When it comes to the materials I would like to use in the project, for the current research, I was thinking about opal, colored glass as a part of the transparent part, and ceramics as the basic material. When it comes to colors, I would like to transfer colors with the works of famous artists from the period of impressionism. That will be colors for the base - ceramics, with colorful transparent accessories- glass. I was also considering using a 3D printer to make ready-made cutouts in the shape of a selected insect, in ceramic mass, or a roller with a pattern. The symbols on the pattern would refer to primitivism, in which symbols were assigned their own meaning. I think it could add more precision and details to my work. My inspiration in creating my work is the works of artists from the Impressionism period. 

As a ready-made 3D project, I intended to create ceramic pottery with insect motifs in a simple, primitive form. The body part of which will be replaced with transparent materials. As a result, I want to create pottery that, under the influence of light, will show differences between light and shadows. 

Examples of famous artists from the Impressionist period:

z




References:

Japan, T. (2023) 10 Japanese patterns (Wagara) steeped in history and their traditional meaningBECOS. Available at: https://en.thebecos.com/blogs/column/10-japanese-patterns-steeped-in-history-and-their-traditional-meaning (Accessed: 11 January 2024). 

The umbrellas (renoir) (2023) Wikipedia. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Umbrellas_(Renoir) (Accessed: 18 January 2024). 

Monet, C. (1970) Water LiliesThe Art Institute of Chicago. Available at: https://www.artic.edu/artworks/16568/water-lilies (Accessed: 18 January 2024). 

1 comment:

  1. We spoke today about the possibility of creating more 3D than 2D outcomes. We also looked at how you could apply the colours to the ceramics and talked about investigating glazes in the ceramics workshop. We mentioned that you could look at Monet's Waterlilies paintings as a possible colour inspiration. There is not an obvious link between the insect motif and the impressionist colour scheme. You could even investigate insects as a source of colour palettes?

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...