Wednesday 22 May 2024

Fine Art Print Workshop & Sewing Workshop: Tote Bag


    I used a sewing workshop to finish my 3D project, a tote bag. took with me the materials that I had cut out from the ready pattern and the lino print design, which I created using the linocut technique in the Fine Art Print Workshop (video bellow). 



    For the tote bag, I chose a cotton material with two colours: light beige with a pattern that connects with my design background, and light grey. As for the handles, I used a herringbone twill webbing tape sew strap, 38mm in orange tone, to match Anhelina's city logo.

    I started the sewing process by preparing the pocket. I decided to use double tape to secure the top of the pocket part. This tape replaced the need for seams, ensuring that my design remained intact without any visible stitching. 
    The next step involved sewing the bag arms to both sides of the bag. In this part, I also used double tape before sewing to secure it in the correct position and prevent the material from shifting during sewing. This was particularly helpful for me as a beginner. Additionally, I chose to use an orange sewing thread for sewing the arms part. 

 
    Then I prepared the top part of the sides of the bag. First, I used double tape for the initial fold (about 1 cm), and then I sewed the second fold using a straight stitch.
    I used an overlock machine to sew together the sides and bottom of the bag. Next, I sewed the bottom and sides together using a straight stitch and then also used the overlock machine to make it stronger.


    After I sewed both sides of the bag together, I realized that the handles weren't in the same position—they were off by about 0.5 cm. I decided to leave it as is because it doesn't affect the bag's functionality, just its appearance.


Final look:


    Overall, the tote bag turned out well, with a strong and durable structure, despite the handles being slightly off. Two really useful tools in this project were the disappearing purple marker and the pattern maker. The marker was great for marking the right position without leaving a trace after a few hours; it just vanished. The pattern maker tool helped me find the right position. I also believe that using orange for the arms of the bag gives it a unique and eye-catching finish plus, it's a perfect match to Ahelina's city logo, adding an extra layer of significance to the design. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent outcome. Can you post some reflective commentary? What new skill did you learn here? How did you find the process? Were there any challenges? What do you think of the final result?

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...