Saturday 28 October 2023

Initial Research: Princess Mononoke by studio Ghibli

Princess Mononoke is an animated film by Studio Ghibli, created in 1997. The main theme of this production is the eternal conflict between the forces of nature and people. The film shows the tendency of humanity to destroy its home, the earth, guided only by its private interests. (Stephen Kelly, 2022) I had the opportunity to watch Princess Mononoke for the first time when I was a child. I still remember how shocking this experience was for me. The way in which people destroyed everything around them in the name of material goods was the first contact with this type of subject.




This picture shows a young girl with a face decorated with ethnic signs and amulets covered with hair around her neck and head, at the forehead level. If you look closely, you can also notice a specific mask combined with animal fur placed on the back of the head. Her appearance may suggest a strong bond with nature and a warrior lifestyle.

In my project, I intend to be inspired primarily by the aspect of nature. Its importance in the lives of selected groups of people, both in the past and its impact on contemporary life and choices. Nowadays, spiritual beliefs and rituals are gaining popularity. People looking for support, guidance and sometimes answers turn to symbols, primitive religions, astrology or numerology.






References: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...