Monday 20 November 2023

Roots of the Jewellery- Necklace No.1

 Here is my first project for the portfolio from an ethnic jewelry store called - Roots Of The Jewelery -


This is a sketch made using the ink pen drawing method. First, I scanned my sketch without filling it in, just in case something went wrong with the paints. When drawing by hand, I do not have a convenient undo option, so I had to protect my work.


I wanted the necklace pendant to resemble something between a totem pole and Native American clothing style. There are feathers/leaves around the face, which are supposed to symbolize the Indian plume.

The face on the pendant has delicate facial decorations, which are also taken from the native American face painting culture (Holmes, October 2022) .

My goal was to give this jewelry the most ethnic look as possible, without exaggerating the form over the content.


The color choice fell on blue and warm brown/caramel. The blue was intended to resemble the color of turquoise howlite. This stone, in turn, was supposed to symbolize the shades of waters and rivers with its color. 



I used a brown caramel color because of the ethnic pattern I found during my research. It was shared in my earlier posts. Also because it reminds me of sand mixed with earth. Such a combination of water and land.

Due to the fact that it is supposed to be ethnic jewelry also inspired by Native American beliefs, I think it is worth mentioning the current beliefs associated with the stone. For example, turquoise howlite is considered to be a stone that supports the throat chakra and is helpful in stressful situations. According to beliefs, it can calm down tension and help relieve it (navitascentre.co.uk).


In the next classes, I plan to edit my works in Photoshop to give them a papyrus background similar to the last one. We'll see how it goes for me

References: 

The demographic segment focused by art of jewelry in planderful (no date a) Planderful Shop. Available at: https://www.planderful.com/en-gb/blogs/timeless-art/the-demographic-segment-focused-by-art-of-jewelry-in-planderful (Accessed: 20 November 2023).

Holmes, J. (2022) Native american face paint: War face paint, PowWows.com. Available at: https://www.powwows.com/native-american-face-paint-war-face-paint/#:~:text=It%20was%20believed%20that%20Indians,holy%20person%20or%20medicine%20man. (Accessed: 20 November 2023).

1 comment:

  1. Good work here on adding some process and your designs - these are developing well

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...