Tuesday 20 February 2024

Second Ceramics Project: Beginning

For my second ceramics project, I used a moth wing pattern. I drew with a pencil on a piece of paper an example of a wing pattern that I found on the Internet. Then I cut out the entire middle part, leaving only the borders. 



Then I cut out the pattern and traced it to duplicate it. When cutting out the copy, I decided to make it smaller. Once I had cut out enough, I used tape to attach them together. As a result, I received an interesting composition, which I decided to use as an ornament. The idea of superimposing wings was inspired by George Bowes's work Contemporary Modern Memphis Signed Ceramic Art Vase Vessel, in which he used an irregular shape that resembled layered picture frames.




The same day, I went to the ceramics studio to start working on this project. First, I cut out a large amount using a paper pattern. I decided that it would be better to cut more of them than if halfway through the creation it turns out that there are not enough of them. I cut the wings in two thicknesses. I will use a thicker layer at the bottom to make the composition more stable, and at the top, I will use thinner parts so as not to weigh down the composition or even prevent it from collapsing.



Finally, I placed all the cut wings on a roller to give them a slightly curved shape. When glueing them together, it will be easier to connect them together and avoid cracks.


Reference List: 

1stDibs.com. (n.d.). Contemporary Modern Memphis Signed Ceramic Art Vase Vessel George Bowes 1990s. [online] Available at: https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/vases-vessels/vases/contemporary-modern-memphis-signed-ceramic-art-vase-vessel-george-bowes-1990s/id-f_17842001/#zoomModalOpen [Accessed 24 Jan. 2024].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...