Wednesday 10 January 2024

First Thoughts on the Project Themes



My first feelings about the three presented therms: primitivism, Pop Art, and Industrial. Primitivism appeals to me the most because of its strong bond with nature, and the symbolism of symbols and patterns. An interesting solution could be to combine Tim Burton's gothic style or Japanese culture with ceramics materials.

When it comes to Japanese patterns, I was thinking about creating a ceramic project based on Japanese culture. Using traditional Japanese patterns, create something similar to the pottery created in the Yayoi period. This was the stage in which people with a nomadic lifestyle began to settle in one place.  There has been an increased interest in ceramic products for everyday use.
I thought this combination might be interesting. To create this project, I was thinking about using a 3D printer to create patterns and cutters/rollers that could be used in combination with ceramics. 

I think it will be a good idea to expand knowledge about Japanese history, their methods of creating handicrafts, and national patterns. 



I'm also thinking about combining T. Burton's gothic style with therms pop art. Creating a pattern that could be used as part of a larger project.  Maybe use dark colors with cartoonish, exaggerated proportions of the characters. 


I found such color palettes for the Gothic style. You can notice that dark colors predominate in them. Dark shades of purple, blue, and red. Then more delicate shades of pink, beige, and gray.


This is what my first ideas look like. However, I don't want to stick only to what first came to my mind. Some of them will definitely stay with me until the final project. However, I am sure that some of them will change as I deepen my knowledge on this subject.


References:

Romano, A. (2019) Tim Burton has built his career around an iconic visual aesthetic. here’s how it evolved.Vox. Available at: https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/17/18285309/tim-burton-films-visual-style-aesthetic-disney-explained (Accessed: 11 January 2024). 

The Spaceshipper (2021) Dune (2021): Space Guild Costume Design, art by Keith Christensencostume designer Jacqueline West: ‘it’s all quite ecclesiastic. I looked to a lot of drawings and murals from the avignon papacy in the 1200s, but we made it look more ominous with those big dome headdresses...’ pic.twitter.com/kvduh0dreeTwitter. Available at: https://twitter.com/thespaceshipper/status/1457002336598040577 (Accessed: 11 January 2024).

Art, D. of A. (1AD) Yayoi culture (ca. 300 B.C.–300 A.D.): Essay: The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Heilbrunn timeline of art history, The Met’s Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. Available at: https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/yayo/hd_yayo.htm (Accessed: 11 January 2024).  

Goth colors color palette (no date) Color Hex Codes. Available at: https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/62917 (Accessed: 11 January 2024). 


1 comment:

  1. You are obviously inspired by many different aspects of art and culture, you have already identified some rich areas to investigate. Historical objects, Japanese culture, ceramics, vessels, colours, shapes and pop culture references. Keep thinking of ideas, write down all the associations as you go.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...