Monday 12 February 2024

First workshop experimentations

I took advantage of the opportunity to have access to the ceramics studio at DMU and started working on my ceramic project. First, for the purposes of my experiments, I rolled out the ceramic mass to a thickness of approximately 6 mm. Then I used a small knife to draw a section of the pattern that looks similar to the pattern on a dragonfly's wing. After that part, I cut out the ceramics mass to look more like the wings. 

When I was quite satisfied with the result got I start to make some patterns using a ceramics stamps. I use five different patterns to see how they will be looks like and also to see how I can fit them into these quite small parts of the pattern. 


I tried to cut the holes with different thicknesses to check how they would look after the drying part. At the moment, my favorite is the central pattern of stamps, tiny squares that slightly expand. I will make the final decision after the mass will dries. 


I also try to make my own stamps. I wanted to make single patterns, lines of patterns that I hope to use in the future for harder-to-reach places.

Thanks to this exercise, I saw how the ceramic mass is technically. Not only facts from books, but I had the opportunity to physically work with them, which showed me more real possibilities at my level. I noticed that the ceramic mass is similar to working with plasticine. At this stage it is quite flexible, but therefore I cannot do anything beyond flat positions. Any attempt to connect two larger parts will end in tipping over. The mass at this stage does not have any stabilization. I need to wait few days before I start the next step. In these time the mass will get a little bit harder and I will be able to connect parts together. 

1 comment:

  1. The stamps are a great idea, they are making the surface look more organic and alive. The rectangular cells you have made look very similar to butterfly wings. They also give a painterly, brushstroke texture to your work.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...