Monday 8 January 2024

Welcome to Art Portfolio


Welcome back after a Christmas break! 


Quick reminder: my name is Aleksandra and this semester I will continue this blog on the subject - Art Portfolio. My goal is to study Crafts Design in the next academic year.  

During the break, I spend most of my time resting and gaining strength for new artistic challenges. Among more ambitious activities I borrowed a few books about ceramics, like a book of Pablo Picasso's ceramic works - "Picasso and ceramics" by Hazan, from the DMU library. Also during my visit to Poland, my family and I went to Karpacz. Cities with a beautiful architectural church - Vang Stave Church. 

That’s my photograph of Vang Stave Church 

I also try to draw the Vang Stave Church in my free time. And one more picture of the building that I found on Pinterest. In the future, I want to finish them with the watercolour technique. 


While resting, I managed to catch up on watching the new movie adaptation of the epic science fiction novel Dune written by Frank Herbert. Costume design: Jacqueline West and Bob Morgan did a really great job. The costumes in this adaptation are just amazing.



"Well, as I mentioned, I based all of the Atreides armor on the Templars, so this idea came up in conversation with Denis very early on about how the Catholic Church condemned the Templars, so I thought perhaps the Spacing Guild should be quite ecclesiastic. I thought it was a good symbol — with the ruling body going after House Atreides, just like the king and the church went after the Templars for the most arbitrary reasons." (West, 2021)

No photo description available.

The Space Guild costumes from "Dune" movie


References: 

Brzeski, P. (2021) ‘dune’ costume designer shares symbolic inspirations for epic’s visionary stylesThe Hollywood Reporter. Available at: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/dune-costume-designer-jacqueline-west-interview-1235041394/ (Accessed: 11 January 2024).

The Spaceshipper (2021) Dune (2021): Space Guild Costume Design, art by Keith Christensencostume designer Jacqueline West: ‘it’s all quite ecclesiastic. I looked to a lot of drawings and murals from the avignon papacy in the 1200s, but we made it look more ominous with those big dome headdresses...’ pic.twitter.com/kvduh0dree, Twitter. Available at: https://twitter.com/thespaceshipper/status/1457002336598040577 (Accessed: 11 January 2024).  

1 comment:

  1. You have taken a fantastic photograph, very evocative and mysterious! You could add more about what makes you want to draw these wonderful buildings, is it the shapes, patterns, cultural associations?

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...