Monday 29 January 2024

Initial Design

At this point, I decided to make a paper mock-up for my first ceramic project. The goal was to capture a shape that looks like an insect wing. I made it from A3 paper and then connected the pieces with the painter's tape. The idea was to show the design in 3D. I connected two identical wing modules, leaving a space of about 3-4 cm between them. I want to make both sides with a different distance to give dimension to the vessel. In this space separating the two winged modules, I am going to make holes in which I will place shapes made of expanse resin.


Then, when I made a copy of the model, I reduced its dimensions. I also made five additional copies to make a test version of the pattern I would like to achieve on the wings. I also described procedures such as cutting out a partial or complete ceramic mass or glaze with various effects. Next, I intend to present everything to a person working in a ceramics workshop to find out whether my ideas can be implemented technically.


At this stage, these are sketches and plans that I intend to turn into an interesting version of a ceramic vessel. While making a sketch version of the patterns, I came to the conclusion that some looked more interesting, but since I have no experience in making ceramics, I decided not to give up any of them. During trial tests on ceramics, it may turn out that what looks uninteresting in the sketch may turn out to be much more beneficial on ceramics. Just as some patterns may turn out to be too detailed, making them difficult to translate into ceramic mass. As I have no experience working with this material, I decided to try all the patterns anyway.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, it can really help to see things in three dimensions as you develop your designs. Clay is a heavier but more flexible material than paper. If you can, research slab pottery techniques. This technique will also allow you to cut holes in the clay before you build the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please can you post scans of your drawings so that they can really be seen by the person reading this what you intend in your designs

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...