Thursday 25 January 2024

Artist Research: Nigel Hoyle


Nigel Hoyle -Art Teacher and Ceramicist living in West Yorkshire. His ceramic panels (example photo below ) are sold in the price range of 75£-850£. He also creates pottery, sculptures and pots. 



 



What caught my attention in N. Hoyle's works was the effect of cracks in the ceramics forming interesting patterns. They reminded me of the patterns on the wings of a dragonfly or a butterfly, for example. This is something unusual that I hopefully could use in my project. His works are unique, combining colours and cracks with screen-printed images to create a unique final impression. I need to expand my technical knowledge regarding this technique. These cracks and imperfections also remind me of nature. Since primitivism is the theme that my works are inspired by, I consider it an interesting connection to my works. The whole creation process seems slightly complicated, so I am considering using a glaze that will give a similar visual effect, instead of imitating the process given by the author of the work.

On the author's website I even found a technical explanation of how to achieve this effect. In terms of current technical knowledge, it doesn't tell me much, but I'm sure I'll use this knowledge when I create a project. "All of my panels, diptychs, triptychs and pentaptychs are individual works of art, signed and one-offs.    Please take a look at some of my other panels, diptychs and triptychs  in my Victoria  Series collection.  The panels are fired to 1250 C with a plain black and transparent glaze where there is a screen-printed image featured. Then a thick porcelain slip is applied with mark-making around the resisted image.  This is manipulated to control the process of cracking. Several glazes and raw materials are then added to define the mood and atmosphere of the piece. It is then re-fired to 1260 C during which the textures take hold in the re-melted glazes." Hoyle (no data). 

References:

Nigel Hoyle Ceramics. (n.d.). Victoria Exhibition Portfolio Panel by Nigel Hoyle Ceramics. [online] Available at: https://nigelhoyleceramics.co.uk/product/victoria/ [Accessed 25 Jan. 2024].

magicrockbrewing.com. (n.d.). Town Lager - Love Local. [online] Available at: https://magicrockbrewing.com/blogs/news/town-lager-love-local.

Marsh, I. and Robison, J. (2010). Slab Techniques. A&C Black., p.12

1 comment:

  1. Have you had a look at crackle glazes? They will give a similar (though not quite so dramatic) effect.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection: Art Portfolio 2

     In Art Portfolio 2, I learned techniques for developing ideas. The classes showed me how to evolve,  my ideas, and change and improve ...